Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Disenfranchisement Disenchantment

We heard it in 2000 with Florida, then we heard it in 2004 with Ohio and now the word is passing through the lips of Democrats in 2005 in Georgia.

It's that word we can't seem to escape. "Disenfranchisement".

I was looking at New Leadership when I tripped over this article about a fight over a bill in Georgia. The bill would make residents who wish to vote in elections to have to present their photo ID (or 4 other types, down from 17 other types) when they do so.

So what's wrong with this?

Some Georgia Democrats compare passing this bill to the returning of JIM CROW LAWS in the South, saying that it "has the potential to disenfranchise poor, elderly and minority people who do not drive, can't work or who otherwise have no means to get proper photo ID."

Hello?! Buses? Taxis? FRIENDS? And I can't tell you how many people I've seen who are disabled (and therefore unable to work) who have a photo ID when I was at WalMart. In Maryland, we have Driver's license photo IDs and State issued photo IDs. I gather every state has these? It'll only disenfranchise people who LET IT.

Why do they act like this is a new idea? In the 2004 election, I had to show my ID when I voted. Big deal. When they said they wanted every vote to count, they weren't kidding. Yes, let's count every imaginary friend, dog, cat, hamster, dead relative and person under multiple aliases while we're at it! Because that's what happens if you don't crack down on voter registration abuse.

I pray that the deciding vote in a presidential (or any) election never comes down to Carl the fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home