Monday, May 16, 2005

My Curry

Curry has a lot of ingredients, I have a lot of different things I would like to talk about.

Bethel AME, Summerville: Mom says the police are doing an investigation. Pastor has been fired and kicked out. If they find out even one person, one person was involved with setting the fire (besides the Pastor) then they will get no insurance money of any kind. Even if they do get the insurance money, members of Bethel will have to wait a good 2 years at the most to begin rebuilding. The investigation could take that long.

Car Sticker: I hate abortion. I really do. It cheapens human life and a lot of women do it for SELFISH reasons (Drudge Report, anyone?). I was driving in my car with my boyfriend and saw this little gem, "I (heart) my abortion provider." The first thought that came to my boyfriend and my minds? Slut. Just as bad as those Planned Parenthood shirts that have "I had an abortion" on them. That is so distasteful. I would order one of those shirts that say "I had a baby", but I've been smart enough to keep my legs closed until marriage.

"If It Hadn't Been For Feminism...": This is a bunch of crock. People give Feminism more credit than it will ever deserve. And that "2000 years of patriarchial rule" junk that some spout is so untrue. In colonial times women owned land and then in owning land they were able to vote, women held jobs and were able to make their own decisions. Only when married did a woman not vote, because her and her husband were seen as one, being of one love and one mind. It was only after the "Enlightenment" period that things changed and women were looked at as "fragile, docile creatures". Hardly 2000 years if you ask me. The Bible has also been twisted into being a way to keep some women "in their place". Notice I said "twisted". And as far as "in their place" I have no idea where that is, seeing as how the Bible regards women (Eve ain't the only one they talk about). Remember Queen Esther or the "Proverbs Woman"? Prized and praised. Some other verses you may want to see about women in the Bible: Deut. 21:15-17; Gen. 34:12; Ex. 22:17; Ruth 4:11; Prov. 14:1; Num. 27:7,8; 36:8; Gen. 48:5,6). Courtesy of Ladies Against Feminism.

One of My Articles on Feminism: This one right here. It got used in a Sociology class my visiting friend from South Carolina attended at her college. I had printed it out the day before yesterday for her to read it, but she said she had already heard it in her class. I was floored. Small world. Some of her classmates used it in a presentation about "-isms", and no they didn't claim it as their own. They weren't able to debate it in the class though. (Darn... ;_;)

Graduation: I unofficially graduated from college yesterday. I was able to participate in the main graduation (my name was in the book!) with the presenting of all the schools (School of Liberal Arts, School of Business & Management, School of Engineering, etc.), but I was not able to participate in my school's one. I have one more class to take in the summer which I could have taken this semester past had I had known. The College of Liberal Arts was off the chain. We screamed so long the director of the ceremony had to ask us a good 3 times for us to be quiet, just for us to sit down and do it again. Another school that was across from us when called picked up chairs and held them in the air. Funny. Invited 5 people, 2 my parents, 4 showed. The one person I counted on being there the most, HUGELY disappointed me.

My Godmother's Neverending Quest to "Convert Me": I am a Republican. I have been that since I was four or five. Please don't try to talk or insult me into becoming anything else (i.e. a Democrat). It's not going to happen and I have a thing for proving people wrong time after time again. The Republicans are not flawless in my eyes, by no means, but the Democratic Party, unless they do some SERIOUS rennovations with their beliefs, will never win me over. I certainly won't be converted by someone who can't get their history right. The DEMOCRATIC PARTY was the party of slavery.

Black Slave Owners & "African-Americans": I'm so happy I at least know (personally) two other people who know there were black slave owners. My boyfriend, one of my friends from South Carolina and I were in Barnes & Noble the yesterday and my friend happened upon a book about black slave owners...from South Carolina. There were also black WOMEN slave owners and one of them, from what the book was saying, may have had a Rose (my friend's last name) or two. This is what I don't get about reparations. We might as well be paying ourselves. On the other topic of "African-Americans", I don't call myself African-American. I am not from Africa and as far as I know, I cannot trace my family back to Africa. For all I know, my ancestors could have been chillin' in Jamaica, the Bahamas or the Dominican Republic. My friend and boyfriend share the same beliefs and don't call themselves African-American. We are BLACK. Charlize Theron is African-American. I am not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Arps said...

Congratulations on graduating! Whats next?

1:56 PM  Edit Comment
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has to be the most ignorant
shit i have ever heard. Even if
your ancestors are from a island They Probably still arrived via
AFRICA.black slave masters were simply individuals who purchased the freedom of a spouse or child from a white slaveholder and had been unable to legally manumit them.Although this did indeed happen at times, it is a misrepresentation of the majority of instances, one which is debunked by records of the period on blacks who owned slaves. These include individuals such as Justus Angel and Mistress L. Horry, of Colleton District, South Carolina, who each owned 84 slaves in 1830. In fact, in 1830 a fourth of the free Negro slave masters in South Carolina owned 10 or more slaves; eight owning 30 or more (2).

4:40 PM  Edit Comment

Post a Comment

<< Home